Opto 22 EPIC
Opto 22 EPIC:
Edge – Programmable – Industrial – Controller
Now you can collect, process, view, and exchange data where it’s produced—at the edge of the network. When you work with data at the edge, you don’t have to worry about latency, and you have one single source of truth.
- Securely share data among databases, cloud platforms, web services, PLC systems, and other systems and equipment, using open, modern communication standards.
- Move data efficiently, decrease network load, and reduce IT reliance by using MQTT/Sparkplug communications.
- Visualize data on the controller’s integral touchscreen, an external HDMI monitor, or from any web browser or mobile device.
Now you have new programming options:
- Program with the field-proven, flowchart-based, multi-chart control language PAC Control.
- Use the IEC 61131-3 compliant CODESYS Development System and CODESYS runtime.
- Exchange data using the visual, flow-based editor and runtime Node-RED, with its free pre-built nodes for databases, web services, and more.
Run your own C, C++, Java, Python, or other custom-developed application on an open, Linux-based automation system, using secure shell access.
From plant floors to remote sites, the edge demands industrially hardened equipment. Now you don’t have to worry about processing power in challenging locations. groov EPIC has:
- Stainless steel processor and I/O chassis with a secure, screw-down design
- Industrial quad-core ARM processor and solid-state drive
- Industrial high-resolution color touchscreen display
- UL Hazardous Locations and Class 1 Div 2 approval
- Wide -20-70ºC temperature range
- ATEX compliance
You can rely on real-time control and I/O from an automation manufacturer with 45+ years of experience. Opto 22’s worldwide reputation for quality was built on solid state relays and I/O, and all our experience is poured into the design of groov EPIC.
- Integral touchscreen for local configuration, commissioning, and troubleshooting–no PC required
- Real-time, open-source Linux operating system
- Multi-tasking real-time control engine
- Dual independent Gigabit Ethernet network interfaces to help securely segment your control network from your business network
- HDMI port for optional local monitor
- USB ports for keyboard, mouse, Wi-Fi dongle, serial connections
- Intelligent, hot-swappable, guaranteed-for-life I/O
- Spring-clamp field wiring up to 14 AWG, with an integrated wireway and adjustable cover
- Multicolor LED for I/O module quality, plus channel indicators for discrete I/O
- Integrated power supply options
If you’re an OEM:
- Remote configuration, troubleshooting, and system visualization from any web browser on any authorized device
- Integrated high-resolution color touchscreen with HDMI output for optional external monitor
- groov View HMI viewable on touchscreen, external monitor, and browser-based devices
- Dual, independent Gigabit Ethernet network interfaces
- Dual USB ports for serial communications or touchscreen monitors
- Real-time, open-source Linux OS running on an industrial quad-core ARM® processor
- 2 GB RAM, 6 GB user space on industrial solid-state drive
If you spec or buy systems:
- UL Hazardous Locations approved and ATEX compliant
- Wide -20 to 70 °C operating temperature range
- Stainless-steel chassis with 4, 8, or 16 I/O modules—or no I/O at all
- I/O module density of up to 24 channels per module
- Multi-featured analog input with voltage, current, and loop sourcing in single module
- Analog input resolution of 20 bits at 0.1% accuracy over span
- DC outputs with load switching at 0.4 A per channel @ 70 ºC
- AC outputs with load switching at 0.5 A per channel @ 70 ºC; blown-fuse detection
- AC/DC mechanical relay output at 5 A per channel @ 70 ºC
- Channel-to-channel isolation available
- Multiple power supply options including AC, DC, and pass-through
- Dual, independent Gigabit Ethernet network interfaces
- Fully compatible with the SNAP PAC System
- All products made in the U.S.A.
If you’re a developer:
- Securely shares data among databases, cloud services, PLC systems, and more
- Real-time, open-source Linux OS
- Flowchart-based PAC Control with scripting for control programming
- Future support for IEC 61131
- Optional secure shell access (SSH) for your own custom-developed application
- groov View for building and securely viewing operator interfaces from any authorized mobile device or PC with a web browser—and from the EPIC controller’s touchscreen
- Open-source Node-RED for wiring together APIs, cloud applications, and databases with simple data flows, using pre-built nodes
- Ignition Edge (a product of Inductive Automation®) with OPC-UA drivers to Allen-Bradley® and Siemens® PLC systems
- MQTT transport protocol with Sparkplug payload for efficient data communications
- RESTful API to groov EPIC controller
If you install, commission, or use systems in the field:
- Integrated high-resolution color touchscreen for commissioning and HMI
- No PC required for I/O and network configuration or troubleshooting
- Touch-sensitive pad on I/O modules for configuring and testing
- Viewable I/O module specs and wiring diagrams
- Stainless-steel DIN rail or panel mounted chassis
- Compact footprint with integrated power supply
- Spring-clamp terminal strip directly atop I/O module accommodating up to 14 AWG wire
- Integrated wireway with two-position swing-away cover
- Single module retention screw and strain relief tab built in
- LED indicators for module health at a glance, and for individual discrete channels
- Hot-swappable I/O